Sunday, April 12, 2009

What’s important to you right now?


I love this exercise.
It can really make you see the truth about yourself, and it can make you understand the truth about others.
It’s really very easy to do:
Just find someplace quiet where you can be alone.
It’s best if you sit down.
So, just sit there and think.
And ask yourself this question, OUT LOUD:

“What’s important to me right now?”

Maybe you need to use the restroom.
Maybe you’re hungry.
Maybe you’re worried about a loved one.
Maybe there’s a tune from a commercial running through your head.

Whatever it is, be honest about it, and say what it is OUT LOUD.
And sit there and think about it.

To give you an example,
I’ll go first:

Turns out that what’s important to me right now is:

My kids.

Can’t stop thinking about them.
We’ve had some thrills in our family over the last couple of weeks, or months.
My second son lettered in swimming, and he is a freshman in high school.
My first son has artistic skills that are going through the roof and his work will be featured in a gallery,
And my oldest daughter performed last week at Carnegie Hall in New York.
It’s the first thing I think about when I wake up, and the last thing I think about when I go to bed.
Is that wrong? Is it wrong to be just a little proud? Can I brag a little? Do you all mind if I post some pictures?
I worry a little.
You see, I’m not trying to say: “Nener nener nener…”
I’m just seeing the struggles, the disappointments, and now the victories and payoffs in the lives of my children, and it makes me more happy than I could have ever expected.

But funny thing, it makes me feel a little paranoid as well.
Some people who know about these wonderful things happening in our family seem to scoff and sneer.
Why do they want to keep my kids down?
They probably don’t, and I realize it’s just all a part of this exercise.

How does this exercise help me?
Suddenly everything I want to do in life, my goals, my work, my priorities, everything has come into a new focus, and I feel revitalized and motivated.
I love how this feels, and I know in which direction I want to go.

By the way, the graphic that comes with this post is a study my son is doing for a larger project. The work was done on a scratch board.

No comments:

Post a Comment