Saturday, May 9, 2009

Quick Joke:


Oh how we wish things were as good as they used to be.


Or as easy. Or uncomplicated.


I've been taking some time off. But now it's back to work.

I'm on the verge of some new, wonderful discoveries. We're going to have some great things to talk about.


My wife and daughter are both nurses, and they tell me how honestly their patients view life and the circumstances that have befallen them. Sometimes the frankness is downright uncomfortable.

You really find out who's compassionate when you need help in the bathroom. It's useless to worry about what you used to think of as dignity when you can't bathe yourself.

So we learn to find new meanings for words like dignity and modesty and embarrassing.

And we find new ways to look at comfort, confidence, and gratitude.


Life teaches us, sometimes through great trials.


So, we're back at work. But first, a joke:


At the beginning of my shift I placed a stethoscope on an elderly and slightly deaf female patient's anterior chest wall.

"Big breaths," I instructed.

"Yes, they used to be," answered the patient remorsefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment